The earlier the decade the harder it is to find good vintage inspired or reproduction dresses for sale. This is especially true for 20s dresses. Most clothing of the 1920s decade is found on cheap costume sites which is fine for a one time party but not a great choice for an authentic look and feel. Thankfully the selection of good day and evening 20s dresses has increased in the last few years.
1920s inspired evening gowns are covered in beaded patterns, made with rich materials like velvet, silk or chiffon and almost always feature a drop waist. Drop waists literally dropped over the entire decade. Early drop waists hung around the high hip while later dresses came all the way down to the knee. Some dresses didn’t have a waist at all- just one long sheath dress. Shop 20s evening dresses.
Daytime 20s dresses were made with cotton and other less expensive materials yet still featured the drop waists and embroidery instead of beads. Sashes were used to create the illusion of the waist band over sheath dresses. Colors were light pastels of green, peach, pink and blue for spring with darker shades for winter. Shop 20s day dresses.
Mature women’s dresses and those in the plus size ranges wore similar designs as the “bright young things” of the day. Dresses had elbow length or long sleeves, a drop waist with a thin belt and vertical lines such as long pintucks, vertical detailed patterns, and long shawl collars. Colors were usually solid instead of fussy prints for a regal look. Many mature women continued to wear the styles of the late Edwardian era (ie Downton Abbey’s Lady Dowager.) Shop plus size 20s dresses here.
1920s Dresses for Sale Online
Our mission at VintageDancer is to help you find the best 20s dress FOR YOU from a variety of online shops in prices, styles and sizes you need. We have them devived into a few pages:
- All 1920s dresses- not sure what you want? Look at over 500 day and evening styles here.
- Daytime dress/mature women’s dresses look at these choices, many with sleeves
- Flapper Dress– fringe beads and feathers in all price ranges
- Evening dresses– Bring on the beads, fringe and feathers in these long gowns.
- 1920s Art Deco inspired white wedding dresses too.
- If you need 1920s plus size dresses this is the page for you.
- Petite ’20s dresses– which brands are best for petite women? Answered.
- 1920s Costume dresses (cheap) see the selection here.
- UK shoppers can find some amazing ‘20s style dresses here.
- AU & NZ shoppers look at these dresses
Shop 20s Dresses
Browse best sellers here or scroll down for even more online 20s dress shops.
More 1920s dresses for sale online:
Where do we source our dresses?
carries a line of 1920’s style dresses that are elaborately beaded on sheer netting just like real 1920s dresses. Most if not all of their gowns are copied from original 20’s dresses. They also have all the accessories you need to complete your look.
– If you need a tea dress or something romantic for a 1920s themed wedding than Wardrobe Shop is one to browse. The Nataya brand has the styling of the late teens the to mid 20s. Many have full arm and longer lengths which are popular with modest ladies.
Another new shop in Australia can be found at
is a talented designer who favors simple, elegant day to evening 1920s dress that are NOT beaded. These dresses embrace the classic ’20s dress shape without all the fuss. Look at
Collects a handful of cocktail dresses, shoes, and accessories for a Gatsby inspired style. Stock is always changing and sells out very quickly!
– Amazon is a mecca for cheap 1920s inspired costume dresses. They are not the greatest quality but they are affordable flapper styles. I recommend choosing one that is available via Amazon Prime for fast shipping and easy returns/exchanges (always read the size chart and order one size up too.) They also have a wide range of accessories (hats, gloves, jewelry, headbands, shoes)
carries formal evening gowns that are inspired by the 1920s. Designers Terani, Mignon, Sue Wong, Papell, Pisarro Nights and Mon Cheri are some brands that always seem to make 1920s inspired gowns. These are great for white tie events, proms, and weddings. See my bests picks at the Formal Dresses page.
One of the best modern brands caring long beaded or sequin evening gowns including plus sizes. These make an excellent mother of the bride, bridesmaid, and prom dresses for a ’20s themed wedding.
Recently started to carry a few 1920s reproduction beaded dresses as well as the romantic Nataya brand dresses. I am a big fan of this site for other retro repro clothing and now to have 20s is just icing on the cake!