Summertime, summer fun. Almost every year I am on the hunt for a new swimsuit. Not that I just love wearing next to nothing at the pool or beach but since summers here get very HOT going for a dip in the pool, wading in Lake Tahoe, or spending a day at the waterpark is a frequent activity. Swimming season is just one more reason to look vintage, don’t you think?
A wave of 50’s pictures and catalogs of gals sunbathing have popped up on my facebook page and pin boards recently. I love comparing the genuine vintage styles with the new vintage-inspired bathing suits that come out every year. For 2013 the trend seems to be even more two-piece suits, although I still favor the ruched one-piece bathing suits myself (they are great at covering up baby weight.) Shop all the 1950’s bathing suits here.
*** Note this is a post written in 2013. It needs an update, but there is still some useful info here and shopping links to 1950s style swimsuits at the bottom. Click here for more pictures of vintage 1950s swimsuits.
1950s VS Vintage Style Swimsuits
1. Red is still a common color in 2013 just as it was in the 50s. Polka Dots and two tone trim is hot this year but they lack the cute puffy shorts and playsuit style like the ones in the ad. Modcloth and Unique-Vintage have an excellent selection of vintage inspired swimsuits including plus sizes.
2. Most one piece swimsuits have straps on them for 2013. Most 50’s bathing suits did not. I love the vintage look without straps but I am so glad modern ones have something to keep the girls up.
3. I love yellow swimsuits but gosh they are hard to find? These cute Polka dot swimsuits from Unique Vintage come in both a one piece and two piece bathing suit. In the ad the swimsuit on the right looks more like some Rompers I have seen around. Rompers at the beach are a perfect pair.
4. Prints. After an overwhelming selection of polka dots it is nice to see some fun prints come out this year. Cherries are a given but how about these cute tropical flowers? If I were going to Hawaii this year I would certainly wear this one to the beach.
5. Ruching and skirts. Probably the best thing about 2013 retro swimsuits is the more diverse and flattering style for full figured ladies. Ruched swimsuits are everywhere and now they added cute little ruffle skirts to the bottoms. It both hides what we want hidden and adds a very retro flair to it. This year I found many more retailers caring retro style swimsuits in plus sizes. Yeah!
6. For you moms to be no need to hide in the shade. There are some very cute swimsuits for you too. I had a really difficult time finding one for me last year so I am probably going to buy one of these this year and hold onto it “just in case” I need one again.