The famous women’s icon of the 1940s was Rosie the Riveter. She appeared in several ads and magazine covers showing off her working woman’s attire. The most famous is Norman Rockwell’s painting turned into the We Can Do It poster. Rosie the Riveter’s look is easy to replicate for a quick Halloween costume or authentic 1940s factory worker, Land Girl, or general 40s working woman. Combing pants or overalls, a button down blouse, and hair bandana she looks, unlike most women’s 1940s fashion models. Instead, she is practical, rugged, and able to get the job done without complaint! It is no surprise Rosie the Riveter’s image has become an example for women’s rights around the world. Learn more about real Rosie’s in the 1940s.
Rosie the Riveter’s outfit wasn’t just one look but a few different options such as:
- Pants: Denim or sturdy cotton blue Overalls, Coveralls, jumpsuit or wide leg pants (jeans are ok) with a leather belt.
- Rosie the Riveter Shirt: A men’s style button down shirt in Navy blue, plaid or stripes or knit pullover sweater or ringer T-shirt. Shop 1940s top here.
- Hair: A silk or cotton Rosie the Riveter bandana, headband or hair scarf in polka dots or other print. A knit snood is also vintage.
- Shoes: Sturdy lace up “work” boots, lace up oxford shoes, or slip on loafers. Shop 1940s shoes here.
- Scroll down to see Rosie the Riveter costume ideas below the shopping links
Shop Rosie the Riveter Costumes:
Rosie the Riveter Costume Examples: