1920s fashion centered around the revolution of freedom in clothing and morals. Both men’s and women’s 1920s clothing broke out of the prim and proper mold of Victorian ideals and into free-spirited casual wear. Roaring 20s fashion gained comfort while showing off an entirely new and outrageous use of color and decoration.
The prohibition era has become the “new” vintage revival thanks to several TV shows, movies and miniseries depicting life in the 20s such as Peaky Blinders, Downton Abbey, Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries, Cable Girls, “Z” and The Great Gatsby.
You too can dress in 20s fashion with vintage reproduction or vintage inspired 20s clothing available online. We searched for the best 20s clothes and organized it by type to help make your online shopping experience easier. Learn 1920s fashion history and 20s outfit ideas before you shop.
1920s Women’s Clothing
Begin creating your 1920s costume by clicking on a category:
1920s Men’s Clothing
1920s Fashion History for Women
- When to wear what- a good place to start learning about 1920s fashion.
- Dresses! History of day dresses, afternoon/party dresses, and formal evening/flapper dresses.
- A special look at plus size 1920s fashions is a must for “non flappers.”
- Casual women’s clothing such as skirts, blouses, sweaters, and pants.
- All about fur coats
- History of 1920s womens shoes and the 10 most common styles.
- 1920s Stockings – History of stockings, tights and socks
- 1920s lingerie – bras, panties, slips and corsets
- 1920s hats and headbands- beyond the stereotypical styles.
- Jewelry- the most common styles you need to know about.
- Gloves– History of gloves from 1900 to 1960
- 1920s Purses- Read about beautiful 1920s purses, handbags and shopping bags.
- Swimsuits- Learn about swimwear in the 1920s
- Great Gatsby Style for Women- Learn how to dress for a 1920s or Great Gatsby themed event.
- Get inspired by 8 easy women’s costumes you can make from new or thrift store clothing. For early ’20s and Downton Abbey costumes check out this handy guide.
- 1920s Makeup tutorial and history.
- Hairstyles of the 1920s
- The 1920s One Hour Dress Pattern– Read these tips before you sew a 1920s dress with this pattern. Find a BIG list of 1920s sewing patterns- new, reproduction and vintage patterns.
1920s Fashion History for Men
- 1920s Men’s Suits – Learn about the styles of 1920s men’s suits.
- 1920s men’s separates- pants / knickers, shirts and collars, sweaters and coats.
- Men’s Costume Ideas- How to create seven 1920s men’s fashion looks.
- 1920s men’s neckties is an interesting read.
- Men’s hats styles and men’s hat history is fascinating.
- 1920s men’s shoes history– snazzy choices for dapper men
- Accessories- gloves, glasses, canes, watches, and cuff links.
- Men’s Formal Wear – Learn about black tie dress in the 1920’s.
- Great Gatsby Style for Men– Learn how to dress like the men in the Great Gatsby movie
- Dress like Robert Redford in the 1974 Great Gatsby movie
- Boardwalk Empire Mens Clothing- Learn about creating your own Boardwalk Empire (TV show) style clothing ensemble.
- 1920s Gangster Style- Learn to dress like a 1920s gangster such as Al Capone.
- 1920s Sports Wear for Men- Easy to put together men’s 1920s sporting clothes.
- Men’s workwear clothing – History of men’s labor jobs work clothing
- 1920s Mens hairstyles guide.
- Men’s underwear and pajamas- in case you are curious.
- Men’s 1920s Swimsuits history and tutorial.
- 1920s men’s sewing patterns – Vintage men’s sewing patterns
- Men’s Vintage Clothing Source– Where to shop vintage, reproduction and inspired men’s clothing.
Have a question about 1920s fashion? Need help finding ’20s style clothing? Contact me for help.